Reactions to Hamlet

Thursday,April 3, 2008

What are your first thoughts and reactions to Hamlet? Should we act it out? Should we get costumes? Post your thoughts here!

22 Responses to “Reactions to Hamlet”

1.   Dwaynna on Thursday,April 3, 2008 3:06 pm

I didn’t forget the blog this time!!!!!!! Yippppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay well even though I was reading Horatio’s part I still don’t have a clue as to what he is talking about. I get what the other characters are saying but not him. Question. What’s up with the ghost? I mean how does a play start out with a ghost and we know nothing about the past events or family ties. I guess we’ll find out. Acting this play out maybe good but only if we get the real understanding of whats going on. Costumes?????? IDK.

2.   Kyla J on Thursday,April 3, 2008 4:54 pm

I want to act!!!!!!!!! *bounces off walls excitedly*
    Costumes would be so cool but I really only want to have an excuse to dress up in a flowing gown…anyway… so far I’m really liking the play. I keep finding ways to relate to my reaserch project, which is good.
    Those two messengers that were dismissed early in scene two, I have a feeling we won’t see them again. The ghost of Hamlet’s father that is haunting the court perhaps knows something important that will rock the empire to its core and is looking for the right person to tell. The ghost is skittish and seems afraid of the guards as if he knows something he shouldn’t. I don’t trust Polonius and Laertes and feel that they and the current King have something ot do with the ghost’s appearence.

“To prove you’re a person (not a spam script). . .” LOL. I’m not a person…I’m an intelligent computer typing as a person.

3.   Lauren Jordan, Mathan Johnson on Thursday,April 3, 2008 6:03 pm

Lauren says:

Ummmmm…Hamlet is interesting because there are ghosts. I want to see how they will play out in the book. Cuz I was like…ghost??…for real. But yeah anyway. I think we should act it out but NO COSTUMES. I mean really we are second semester seniors. We aint got no money to be paying for no costumes. all our money either went to the school or is going to our big school.
    p.s. VOTE BARACK OBAMA

Mathan says:

Hamlet is ok. I like how the book has incest in it, like how Hamlet’s uncle is his step-dad. Well, i really don’t like the fact that it has incest in it but its kinda weird and somewhat peculiar that in the olden days it was ok to do that kinda stuff. I think we should act it out (didn’t I tell you that Ms. Bush?), and umm no costumes because thats kinda gay. *(No offense Ron).

4.   Brandon Anthony on Thursday,April 3, 2008 7:27 pm

I feel that Hamlet is fairly interesting, as most of Shakspear’s plays are. Hamlets ghost is very mysterious, which makes me want to read more to figure out what will happen next. I think that Hamlet’s spirit is trying to forewarn the poeple of Denmark about something, and Im curious to find out what that is…

I think acting the play out would be fun, and costumes would keep it more intersting…but they would have to be free like Lauren said lol.

5.   David Harris on Thursday,April 3, 2008 8:07 pm

I guess it’s okay. It’s just another story to me. I mean I already know what happens so I’m not that exited about it, but Hamlet is still a good play. I think it might be pretty cool to act it out in costumes. Why does Shakespeare do so many tragedies about Kings like Julius Ceaser, MacBeth, King Lear, and of course Hamlet?

6.   ♥ Mazalynn ♥ on Thursday,April 3, 2008 8:14 pm

My first reaction of Hamlet was like okkkk so all of Shakespeare plays tie into each other….i think Hamlet is going to be very interesting like it already makes me think of a soap opera or something like that idk

and nooooo i do not want to act it out….i’ll watch but i dont want to be in it….♥♥♥

7.   Jazzmin on Thursday,April 3, 2008 8:33 pm

My first thoughts on Hamlet are bascially its gonna be like every other Shakespear play. Love, death, ghosts, deception..etc…Sure I say lets act it out!! Costumes are hott

8.   Danielle McConnell on Thursday,April 3, 2008 8:39 pm

I have not had a chance to read the begining of Hamlet but past experiences with reading basic parts of the play lead me to believe that I will enjoy it. With experience of past plays I know that the play will involve twist in plots, drama, and definite surprise endings. I would definitly enjoy acting certain scenes out in class. And I will be in class Friday with my essay LOL sorry about that Ms. Bush.

9.   Lauryn 8 P on Thursday,April 3, 2008 8:56 pm

Oh look Lauren spelled the candidates name right this time.

Anyway. Yes costumes would be nice. I don’t like the incestuous history of the play (although I think it’s more lust than incest) but I like the purely Shakespearean drama of the tragedy. I think (and this only works if he’s the younger brother) that the King had been lusting for Queenie all along, jealous of his prosperous older brother (oh yeah, b/c it’s first come first serve on the ruling thing. Right?). As a result he pulls the “alleged” Kwame/Camalita dispose of evidence scandal and gets all he wants. Way to throw around power.

Also Hamlet shall pull an Oedipus type move. Simply the killing of relatives who are King, not the marrying and procreating with the mother thing. Except he will know.

Ummm… maybe I need to work on that last one more.

BYE!

10.   james on Thursday,April 3, 2008 9:08 pm

i DID forget the blog this time!!!!!!!
    ummmmm i wasn’t really paying attention and was a bit too lazy to read the first scenes on my own so… what i DID pay attention to:
    totally agree with what ron said in class that hamlet’s mommy is a “hoe”
    foreshadowing of bad times, war, etc… yay fighting
    hamlet’s uncle is a bad person
    guards trying to make ghost go away by swinging their swords at it, lolstupid
    ghost – scary
    the end

ummm i’d rather we not act it out because it would get butchered by ppl
    costumes would be fun tho… depending on whether or not the guys will have to wear tights… scratch that, tights aren’t too big a deal

11.   morgan thesupersitter johnson on Thursday,April 3, 2008 9:10 pm

hi sorry it’s past 10 pm i was watchin my brother and i couldnt break free!

ummm i read this in 7th grade ms. bozanic’s class at birney so i already kinda know whats gonna happen… it’s a little fuzzy but it’s all starting to come back to me… this play seems like a typical shakespeare work right now with royalty and ghosts but just wait… it’s gonna seem evn more like a typical shakespeare work whe nall the death and crazies come into play. just wait you guys… lol

12.   morgan iscrackinup johnson on Thursday,April 3, 2008 9:13 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH IM DYIN LAUGHIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JAMES……SAID…….HO!!!!!!!

IM SORRY I JUST FIND THAT HILARIOUS!!!!!!

O AND ALSO JAMEDS LIKES TIGHTS! LMAO OMG READ HIS BLOG LMAO!

13.   Krissy on Thursday,April 3, 2008 9:24 pm

Today sucks… and the tennis match sucked. But hey.. David reminded me to blog.

I dislike Hamlet. I don’t like it. That is my first reaction. I find it lame, stupid.. but I dislike poems more.. so that’s something.

I don’t want to act it out, a definite no on the costume. Acting it out means more time to finish the play and less time to review for the AP test. I don’t have time for that. ): .. I don’t want a 3 again on the English exam.. lmao..
    I’m lying.. can’t really review for English Lit.. gotta read the books…

Hamlet and the ghost is lame. I dislike ghosts, I find them an easy way out. But Shakespeare still has good stories…

My comment would probably be more happy if I wasn’t so.. what’s a more polite word for ‘pissed’?…

14.   Mel on Thursday,April 3, 2008 9:27 pm

yea so this play is really wierd. death, ghosts, and incest… yep perfect combo right? so im mad that of all plays he names his most twisted one after his son.n yea james is right about the guards bein stupid i mean come on. wat were they thinking? i guess they were gonna slice the ghost to death only theres two problems: 1) i doubt u will b able to slice through a ghost. 2) its a ghost therefore its dead. i dont think stabbing it is gonna make much difference. o wow we r gonna kill sumthin thats dead… ooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkk great idea.

i definately dont think we should act out the play cuz it wasnt gonna happen n e way. unless we jus have emily play all the parts cuz shes the only one that can pronounce half the words… GO EMILY!!!!!!

15.   Kevan Williams on Thursday,April 3, 2008 9:42 pm

Do we get points on this? Mine isn’t going to be long, I’ll just answer the questions. Hamlet is pretty good. No we shouldn’t act it out. No costumes. As a matter of fact, silent reading might be a good idea.

16.   Christina A on Thursday,April 3, 2008 10:05 pm

Hamlet is going to be GRRRREAAATTT!!! I think we should act it out because reading it is boring (as you can see LOL). However, the costumes thing is out of da question. That’s doing too much unless it is for extra credit :).

17.   Fumi Valerie (Tofunmi) on Friday,April 4, 2008 5:33 am

I think that we should only act out the parts where ppl die but not the whole thing becuz that would be too much. Hamlet is okay but since i’ve arleady read it it is easier to understand what is happening instead of all the other plays in old english where im clueless. oh yea one more thing……NO COSTUMES!!!!!!!!! unless like chris asid its extra credit

18.   Damon on Friday,April 4, 2008 7:37 am

I didnt forget the blog either, I just was so tired and slept right when I got home until I woke up for school…sorry. But my first reaction to Hamelt was…”hey, I actually read this before.” but then I realized that it was just like all the other shakespear plays and started really slow.

19.   Tamara Rabban on Thursday,April 10, 2008 8:10 am

I actually read Hamlet before and remember it, so reading it now does not interest me very much. Reading Shakespearean plays really confuses me, so I believe that acting out the play would be a wonderful idea. I am more of a visual person and acting it out in costumes would make my understanding even better. I would get the vibe that I am in that time period and it would make me more interested.

20.   Sagar on Friday,July 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Hey, youÂ’re the goto expert. Thanks for hngaing out here.

21.   qfhirwxhh on Saturday,July 16, 2011 5:36 am

ypshsN iokwyjohtcsn

22.   rrsltqtx on Monday,July 18, 2011 12:56 pm

8FNjd8 vubkvixgyjqe

Trackback URI | Comments RSS